martes, 3 de febrero de 2015

Excursión en el río

El 1 de febrero, 2015



I woke up in a bunk bed where my friend Keilin slept during high school.



Marlen said "Buenos días" as she passed by the room and when I came out into to the main room, breakfast was ready. We ate corn tortillas with eggs, tomatoes and coffee.

After breakfast I got ready for exploring the river in the national park, wearing a bathing suit and shorts and packing up a bag with sunscreen and bug spray.

The ride to the river was very curvy and bumpy but the view of the forest and mountains was awesome. We finally made it to a stopping point along the bank and walked across to the park ranger station, but the only one who came to attend us was the resident sheep dog.




The dog followed us on our walk upstream, staying just a few steps behind us until I called it, and then it became my playmate. We walked for about an hour, stopping to drink and take pictures, and then arrived at a swimming hole where we stopped and got in. Since it is the dry season here the water level was very low and didn't cover much of the river bank.
After that we went home and ate pasta, salad, tortillas with cheese and pinto beans for dinner in the house. I got to help by cutting the tomatoes and cucumbers for the salad.

Later on we went "downtown" to the plaza/park called Bernabela Ramos, after the woman who donated the land to the city. Jose and Marlen showed me the four monuments that sit on the four corners of the square as well a large dome-shaped concrete pavilion that projects sound made inside. I sang on the inside to hear my voice amplified.


 (panoramio.com)

They told me about the cultural week that is held every January in Santa Cruz and how indigenous groups perform dances and traditional music. At Marlen's request we got some icecream from the corner store and ate it while we walked around.

While on the way home we stopped and got this photo at Keilin's school:









No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario